1 possessing life; "the happiest person alive"; "the nerve is alive"; "doctors are working hard to keep him alive"; "burned alive" [syn: alive(p)] [ant: dead]
2 (often followed by `with') full of life and spirit; "she was wonderfully alive for her age"; "a face alive with mischief" [syn: alive(p)]
3 having life or vigor or spirit; "an animated and expressive face"; "animated conversation"; "became very animated when he heard the good news" [syn: animated] [ant: unanimated]
4 (followed by `to' or `of') aware of; "is alive to the moods of others" [syn: alive(p)]
5 in operation; "keep hope alive"; "the tradition was still alive"; "an active tradition" [syn: active, alive(p)]
6 (usually followed by `to') showing acute awareness; mentally perceptive; "alert to the problems"; "alive to what is going on"; "awake to the dangers of her situation"; "was now awake to the reality of his predicament" [syn: alert, alive(p), awake(p)]
Etymologyon live, on līfe; līfe, dative of līf
- Having life, in opposition to dead; living; being in a state in which the organs perform their functions; as, an animal or a plant which is alive.
- In a state of action; in force or operation; unextinguished; unexpired; existent; as, to keep the fire alive; to keep the affections alive.
- Exhibiting the activity and motion of many living beings;
- The Boyne, for a quarter of a mile, was alive with muskets and green boughs. --Macaulay.
- Sprightly; lively; brisk.
- Having susceptibility; easily
lively feelings, as
opposed to apathy;
- Tremblingly alive to nature's laws. --Falconer.
- As intensifier, of all living.
- Northumberland was the proudest man alive. --Clarendon.
- Czech: živý
- Dutch: levend
- Finnish: elävä
- German: lebendig
- Hindi: सजीव (sajīv), ज़िंदा (zīndā), जीता (jītā), जीवित (jeevit)
- Hungarian: életben lévő, élő
- Irish: beo
- Japanese: 生きている (ikite iru)
- Marathi: जिवंत,सजीव (sajīv),
- Polish: żywy
- Russian: жив, -а, -о
- Scottish Gaelic: beò
- Slovene: živ , živa , živo
in a state of action
exhibiting the activity and motion of many living beings
sprightly, lively, brisk
- Marathi: जिवंतपणा असलेला/असलेली/असलेले/असलेल्या
of all living
- Marathi: सर्व सजीव विषयक
Alive may refer to:
- Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors, a 1974 book by Piers Paul Read which documented the 1972 crash of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 in the Andes mountains
- Alive (manga), a supernatural, shonen manga by Tadashi Kawashima and Adachitoka
- Columbus Alive, a free weekly newspaper servicing Columbus, Ohio
- Alive, a free monthly what's on guide for Northern cities in England. The publiation folds out and lists gigs, club events and theatre.
- Alive (1993 film), a 1993 film directed by Frank Marshall based on the book Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors.
- Alive (2002 film), a 2002 Japanese horror film directed by Ryuhei Kitamura
- Alive: 20 Years Later, 1993 documentary about the book Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors and the Frank Marshall film.
- Alive Records, a record label
- Alive!, a 1975 live album by the rock band KISS
- Alive II, a 1977 live album by the rock band KISS
- Alive III, a 1993 live album by the rock band KISS
- Kiss Symphony: Alive IV, a 2003 live album by the rock band KISS
- Alive (DVD), a 2005 live CD/DVD by Bury Your Dead in 2005
- Alive! (Snot album), a 2002 live album by Snot
- Alive (in concert), a 2000 live album by Axelle Red
- Alive 1997, the first live album released by electronic music duo Daft Punk
- Alive 2007, the second live album by Daft Punk
- "Alive" (Pearl Jam song), a song by Pearl Jam on their debut album Ten
- "Alive" (P.O.D. song), a song by P.O.D. on their album Satellite
- "Alive (S Club song)", a song by S Club
- "Alive" (Jennifer Lopez song), a song by Jennifer Lopez on her album J to Tha L-O!: The Remixes
- "Alive" (X Japan song), a song by Japanese rock band X Japan on their debut album Vanishing Vision
- "Alive" (Melissa O'Neil song), a single by Melissa O'Neil, later covered for Becki Ryan for the movie Flicka.
(Kate Ryan album), a 2006 studio album by Kate Ryan
- "Alive" (Kate Ryan song), a song by Kate Ryan on the album of the same name
- "Alive" (Sonique song), a song by Sonique
- Alive (news music), a television news music package by 615 Music
- "Alive", a song by the Beastie Boys from their album The Sounds of Science
- "Alive", a song by the Bee Gees from their album To Whom It May Concern
- "Alive", a song by Oasis from their single Shakermaker
- "Alive", a song by Shihad from their 2005 album, Love Is The New Hate
- "Alive", a song by Korn from their album Take a Look in the Mirror.
- "Alive", the lead single from Singer Edwin's album Another Spin Around the Sun.
- "Alive", a song by Ozzy Osbourne, from his 2001 album Down to Earth
- ALive (OOOD), a 1996 album by O.O.O.D.
- Alive!, a portuguese annual festival.
alive in German: Alive
alive in French: Alive
alive in Japanese: アライヴ
alive in Norwegian: Alive
alive in Polish: Alive
alive in Finnish: Alive
alive in Swedish: Alive
abounding, aboveground, active, activist, activistic, agile, alert, alive and kicking, alive to, alive with, among the living, animate, animated, apprehensive, around, astir, attentive, au courant, awake, aware of, bouncing, bouncy, breathing, breezy, bright, brisk, bristling, bubbly, bursting, bustling, buzzing, capable of life, chipper, clear-sighted, clear-witted, clearheaded, cognizant, cognizant of, conscious, conscious of, crawling, crowded, crowding, dynamic, ebullient, effervescent, eidetic, endowed with life, enduring, energetic, enlivened, existent, existing, filled, flush, fresh, frisky, full, full of go, full of life, full of pep, functioning, green, humming, in profusion, in the flesh, inspirited, instinct with life, intelligent, jam-packed, jammed, jumping, keen, kept in remembrance, knowing, lasting, lavish, live, lively, living, long-lived, lousy, mercurial, militant, nimble, on the, on the alert, on the ball, on the job, operative, overflowing, packed, peppy, perky, pert, populous, prodigal, profuse, proliferating, prolific, prompt, qui vive, quick, quick-witted, quicksilver, ready, recalled, recollected, remembered, replete, retained, rife, running, sensible, sensitive to, sentient, sharp, sleepless, smacking, smart, snappy, spanking, spirited, sprightly, spry, studded, superabundant, swarming, teeming, tenacious of life, thick, thick as hail, thick with, thick-coming, thronged, thronging, unblinking, unforgotten, unnodding, unsleeping, unwinking, verdant, very much alive, viable, vigilant, vigorous, vital, vivacious, vivid, vivified, wakeful, watchful, wide-awake, witting, working, zingy, zoetic